How it all began
At the end of the 19th century there was a time in which monarchistic minds found everything related to the Wittelsbach house fascinating and stimulating. This was something that the clever owner Wilhelm Hart took advantage of, and in the year 1880 he named the new building, sidewards of the Höchberger Straße at the approach of the Zeller Waldspitze, after the family whose ancestor Otto V von Schleyern, who named himself after his castle Wittelsbach at Aichach already in the year 1116. During extensions and modifications, cannonballs and other pieces of war equipment were found again and again. A glance into the history books shows that Napoleons troops took up quarters here during their retreat from their campaign in Russia.
Turn of the Century
The inn Wittelsbacher Höh was above the vineyards, and although it was alone here with just one other house, the shining red bricks could be seen from far away. Many of the streets didnt exist yet and fields and gardens went all the way to the Frankfurter Straße. The teacher, author and expert on Würzburg, Werner Dettelbacher, wrote in his remarkable book Zu Gast im alten Würzburg (Visiting old Würzburg): Here, on Saturday evening, came those who were tired of Würzburg city, to sit below shaded trees and drink cool drinks. You had an unspoilt view of the western front of the Marienberg Fortress and onto the rooftops of Würzburg.
In the year 1969 the gastronomer couple Sieglinde and Franz Mohr took over the Wittelsbacher Höh from the Hart family, which had been running the hotel for three generations. The establishment was then run in the tradition of a Franconian inn and extended to 15 rooms with 23 beds. Back then, all rooms were already fitted with a shower and lavatory.
In the year 1976 the hotel was expanded towards the hill, to 53 rooms with 98 beds, and the Mohr family made sure to conform to the harmonious landscape. The next expansion was completed in 1984, and the hotel now presented itself with 72 rooms and 140 beds, a stylish restaurant, a wonderful panorama terrace with a one-of-a-kind view as well as 8 banquet halls for up to 100 persons.
The last alteration was completed in the years 2010/2011, where 15 rooms were completely gutted, modernized and made handicap-accessible. Additionally, the hotel received a barrier-free entrance, a passenger elevator, two additional conference rooms as well as a new entrance hall with reception and lobby. In April 2012 a large opening ceremony was celebrated with an open house day.